Header

Header

Sunday 5 February 2012

Pecan Perfection


I am a very lucky girl.  I am a very lucky girl because I have a very lovely neighbour who sensed my slight (enormous) desperation to bake and not only offered her oven, but also her company.  As a result, we had a fantastic afternoon baking and one of the fruits of our labour, these to-die-for Date and Pecan Pies.  The title "Date and Pecan Pies" in no way do them justice or in any way express just how delightful they are. 

To begin, we made a beautiful, buttery sweet shortcrust pastry which was no mean feat in the heat of Blackwater.  After many a roll and cut and put the pastry back in the fridge, we had twelve mini tart shells and one small flan (made with the leftover pastry - waste not, want not).  These were popped into the fridge before we did quite a few delicious things.  First, dates were chopped and soaked in copious amounts of Tia Maria.  As if that wasn't exciting enough (you simply cannot understand how much I have missed baking), luscious dark chocolate was also melted with butter and I don't need to tell you how much I adore melting chocolate.  Independently fantastic, these two were then combined with dark brown sugar and cream to form the most wonderful smelling concoction
 - heaven! 

The sickly sweet mixture was poured into our tart shells, topped with pecans and baked in the oven.  Or should I say, poured into tart shells, topped with pecans, carried across the landing and baked in Nykea's oven.  Oh, to have an oven!  What a treasure it will be! 


Out of the oven, the pies did not disappoint aesthetically. This was improved further by the ridiculous Tia Maria caramel sauce that was made so as not to waste the mixture drained off the soaked dates.  A dollop of cream and a river of sauce accompanying our dainty, homemade pies provided the perfect finale to our neighbourly evening barbeque.

Cheers!

F. x

1 comment:

  1. Have I ever told you just how much I love dates and pecans? These, in combination with my all-time favourite chocolate plus Tia Maria - truly decadent!! Why have you never made these for me???

    ReplyDelete